How to make this epic Caramelized onions tart at home?
How to make this epic Caramelized onions tart at home? A tart is a baked dish consisting of a filling over a pastry base with an open top. The pastry is usually shortcrust pastry; the filling may be sweet or savory, though modern tarts are usually fruit-based, sometimes with custard.
This tart is not that common, cause the 95% of it’s filling is onions; yes we have caramelized them on the stove top over 3 hours over very low heat, and that is the particular secret of this tart, having the patience to do all the steps.
The categories of ‘tart’, ‘flan’, ‘quiche’ and ‘pie’ overlap, with no sharp distinctions, though ‘pie’ is the more common term in the United States. The French word tarte can be translated to mean either pie or tart, as both are mainly the same with the exception of a pie usually covering the filling in pastry, while flans and tarts leave it open.
- 1.5 pounds of white onions cut in julienne
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon of flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- Salt and pepper
- Pastry dough recipe
- 2 cups of flour
- 1 stick of butter
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 egg
- cold water
- salt to taste
- Prepare the dough
- The recipe for this dough is also here under Pâte Brisée - pie dough
- Preheat the oven at 350 F.
- Cut the butter into small pieces. Pour the flour into a bowl. Make a well, pour in the sugar and a pinch of salt. Add the butter in pieces, 4 tablespoons of cold water and the egg, mix with fingertips until the dough is smooth. Do not work it too much or it will harden up. Add 5 tablespoons of cold water and mix to obtain a fine smooth dough. Make a ball with the dough and let it stand in the fridge for at least an hour. Remove from the fridge, knead and roll to get the size of the mold, prick with a fork on the bottom so it does not inflate and cook it in white (a piece of waxed paper or aluminum and is filled with beans or rice is placed to make a weight into the bottom of the quiche) for 10 minutes!
- Prepare the onions
- Cut the onions into thin slices, then in a large skillet, heat the butter stir in the onions, put salt and pepper and let the onions get golden brown. In a bowl mix the cream with the teaspoon of flour, then take the pan, mix well with a wooden spatula. Remove from heat, pour the mixture into a bowl, cool for 5 minutes, add the yolks, mix well, add into the pastry dough shell, cook for 45 minutes over high heat.
This one is still the biggest selling item every where I take it with me. It’s so simple but soo good, creamy and crunchy at the same time, and the onions have become so mild after cooking! it’s just delicious!
Normally people that do not eat onion, love this tart, cause the initial crunchiness and strong flavor of the onion are totally gone. Instead you get a wonderful flavor and a soft and creamy texture. So believe me this is totally a hit!