This is part of a sponsored collaboration with milk life and DiMe Media. However, all opinions expressed are my own.
This month we are celebrating Hispanic Heritage Month, and I am so glad I can share with you my grandmother’s recipe; a recipe that has been passed from generation to generation and is a family favorite! I used macadamia nuts, whole wheat flour and agave to make this healthier version of our traditional recipe. This recipe yields 1 loaf of delicious banana bread and should be served with a delicious glass of milk.
This recipe makes me happy because apart from being yummy it’s also nutritious and good for them. Not only does it pair perfectly with milk, but it has milk in it! Milk is a simple way to help give kids nutrients they need to be their best, and it’s delicious. Giving them milk is a choice I can always feel good about. Not to mention that an 8-ounce glass of milk has 8 grams of high-quality, natural protein, plus other essential nutrients like calcium and vitamin D. Add this with our banana bread and we have a winning combo.
Life can get busy and hectic and trying to live a healthier seems like hard work. It doesn’t have to be! A balanced diet including smart choices like milk, with its 9 essential nutrients, can help. Milk is the top food source of three out of the four nutrients of concern – the nutrients that Americans, including children, are most lacking – calcium, potassium and vitamin D.
- 1¾ cups white whole wheat flour or regular whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup grated coconut
- ⅓ cup macadamia nuts (coarsely cut)
- ⅓ cup melted coconut oil
- ½ cup agave or honey
- 2 eggs
- 3 small or 2 large mashed bananas (about 1 cup)
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Mash your bananas and prepare all the ingredients.
- Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Bake 5 to 10 minutes or until they are golden brown. A toasted nut should look more GOLDEN than BROWN. They will continue to brown slightly after they're removed from the oven. Stir once or twice during toasting so the bake evenly.
- Remove from pan to cool.
- In a bowl, whisk the coconut oil and agave together. Add the eggs and beat well, then add the mashed bananas and milk.
- Add the vanilla, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon, and whisk to blend. Then add the flour and fold to combine well, don’t over mix.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan and sprinkle some chopped macadamia nuts and coconut. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it cool. Enjoy.
So what are you waiting for, these ingredients are so easy to get if you don’t have them already at home?!
- Facebook (facebook.com/SiempreLeche)
- Twitter (twitter.com/SiempreLeche)
- Pinterest (pinterest.com/SiempreLeche)
- Instagram (instagram.com/SiempreLeche)