Healthy chicken Shawarma wrap
Hello friends! How was your weekend? Happy belated Mother’s Day to all the mothers reading this! you and I share the most wonderful 24/7 job in the whole wide world! tiring, is it? yes but totally rewarding.
Today I bring you a recipe that is not only healthy but flavorful and easy to eat. Shawarma Lebanese Chicken Recipe.
Lebanese cuisine is rich and diverse, it consists mainly of Mezze which is a set of varied dishes that somehow resembles Spanish tapas. For tonight I prepared a special Lebanese recipe, Shawarma chicken with pita bread and different salads.
Remember that Lebanese spread I prepared for game day? This was an assortment of dishes that are usually eaten with pita bread and those mezze recipes are among others: Baba ghanouj, hummus, Fattouche, Tabouleh…
- 2 pounds chicken breast or boneless thighs
- 2 small garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- Salt, freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Yogurt sauce:
- 250 ml Greek yoghurt (1 natural yogurt)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 tablespoon cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint, chopped
- A few drops of lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- To serve:
- Pita bread
- A Lebanese salad (lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, sumac)
- Start by mixing marinade ingredients in a plastic (Ziploc) bag or salad bowl.
- Place the chicken Add the chicken. Mix well with your hands so that the chicken is covered with the marinade.
- Leave to marinate overnight or for a few hours.
- Mix the ingredients in the yogurt sauce in a bowl, place in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Heat the BBQ or a large grill pan. Cook the chicken until golden brown on both sides like 4 - 6 minutes for each side.
- Place on a large plate and cover with aluminum foil to keep them warm.
- Serve with Pita bread, yogurt sauce and salad (lettuce, tomatoes, red onion, sumac).