Nicoise Salad #Sunday Supper
Well, this this is a classic french recipe form the south of France. What I love about this recipe is cooking every ingredient separately having at the end a mixture of textures and flavors! that makes it so much fun when eating.
The classic ingredients for this salad are: canned tuna, green beans, anchovy fillets, tomatoes, potatoes, onions, hard boiled eggs and olives. But you can change the basic to your own personal settings, often people put anchovies instead tuna, add artichokes, or fresh grilled tuna. You can spin this recipe into a pasta salad instead of a potato one! so the possibilities are endless!
- ¼ cup shallots, finely minced
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar or Xeres vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil drained from the canned tuna
- Salt and pepper
- 10 leaves from a head of romaine lettuce
- 1 teaspoon of chives, sliced
- 1 cup of green beans, blanched in salted water, refreshed and drained
- 12 baby potatoes, boiled until tender and sliced in half
- 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 baby artichoke hearts, halved
- 1 small purple onion, sliced very thinly
- Handful Kalamata olives, halved
- 4 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and halved
- 1 fresh radish, thinly sliced
- freshly ground sel de guerande and pepper
- 2 canned tuna in olive oil.
- For the dressing: Slice the shallots into fine julienne. Transfer to a bowl and add the vinegar and salt and pepper. Set aside for at least 10 minutes. Add the olive oil to the shallots. Taste and add more salt or pepper, adjusting to your tastes.
- For the salad: Toss the lettuce leaves with a very little bit of the dressing and arrange on a platter. Toss the green beans, potatoes, tomatoes and artichoke hearts separately in a bit of dressing, and arrange on the platter. Scatter the onions and olives on top. Arrange the eggs and tuna on top. Season with freshly ground sel de guerande and pepper.
I hope that this inspire you to try doing your own version of this classic! As we do at home. Crunchy, savory, sweet, great mixture of flavors and textures!!
Have a wonderful dinner around this great dish! Add your personal touch and mainly have fun with it.