Wonderful spring sprouts pearl couscous salad
Happy Monday folks!
How was your weekend? I do hope that better than mine, having rain all weekend long ended in an unexpected visit to the ER with my youngest daughter and her sprained Ankle. Nothing to worry about, she’ll wear a fiberglass cast for 3 weeks, nothing big!
Mixed green veggies with pearl couscous is just a wonderful way to serve spring sprouts to your family and besides makes such a colorful side dish. Brussels sprouts leaves cook faster than whole sprouts and have a more delicate flavor. To separate them, trim the ends of the vegetables, and peel off as many leaves as you can.
- 3 cups water
- 1 ½ cups Israeli or pearl couscous
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini, cut in ribbons
- 1 Bunch Asparagus trimmed and cut into 1’’ pieces
- 4 cups brussels sprouts leaves (from 8 ounces brussels sprouts)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Simple Dijon vinaigrette
- 1 small shallot, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (about ½ teaspoon)
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¾ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring water and 1 teaspoon salt to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add couscous, and simmer, covered, until tender, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium high-sided skillet over high heat. Cook the bacon until golden brown then take it out of the pan and put it over some paper towels so most of the grease is absorbed.
- Then in the same pan cook the garlic, zucchini, asparagus and brussels sprouts leaves until tender and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir the veggies sprouts leaves into couscous. Stir in remaining tablespoon oil; season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.
You can also like this Easy and fun arugula pesto pasta salad I made the other day…
Or maybe use it in a stew or a soup like I did here in this Tomatoes and meatballs soup