Colorful quinoa salad
Hello folks! as the time flies by, running towards the end of the year and we prepare ourselves for the last celebrations of this 2016, some of us are trying to avoid excesses and not over eat until then! I said trying! is not always the case but I’m feeling good about this. (So, I don’t feel that guilty afterwards at least).
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (3/4 cup uncooked quinoa + 1½ water or broth, salt to taste)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can corn
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 15 Cherrie tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ¾ cup olive oil
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 2 cloves garlic, mashed
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Rinse quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear, drain and transfer to a medium pot. Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside off the heat for 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork.
- Mix quinoa, beans, corn, red onion, tomatoes, and cilantro together in a serving plate.
- Whisk olive oil, lime juice, garlic, salt, and black pepper in a bowl; pour over quinoa mixture and toss to coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate until flavors blend, at least 2 hours. Stir again before serving.
Most frequently asked questions about quinoa.
How much quinoa do I have to cook, for 1 cup of uncooked quinoa you will have between 2 1/2 to 3 cups of cooked quinoa. Enough to serve for 4 – 6. Why does quinoa tastes bitter? To avoid getting bitterness in you cooked quinoa, rinse the quinoa in a fine sieve until water runs clear, drain and transfer to a medium pot. Add water and salt and bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer until water is absorbed, 15 to 20 minutes. Set aside off the heat for 5 minutes; uncover and fluff with a fork.
How much liquid do I need to cook quinoa? To cook 1 cup quinoa, you will need about 2 to 2 1/2 cups liquid, it can be water, broth, or milk.
So, I hope you are almost done with your Holiday’s to do lists, I know I am. And turning back and looking at all the things We have gone through this year I can honestly say I can’t wait 2016 to be over. Well at least tomorrow is Friday and we can all exhale and let the weekend celebrations begin.
I do hope you have a great weekend ahead of you! So, what is your favorite gift for this year? Mine so far is the Double chocolate chips cookies baked by my girls and nicely packaged and ready to go for next week, but hey, cookies, right? who can resist? not me! Cheers!